Sunday, December 11, 2005

Dallas White Rock ½ Marathon Report

First - The evening before involved eating sushi, drinking sake, and then attending Michael’s company Christmas party – which was extremely boring and involved me standing on my feet for 3 hours in heels. Stupid. Boring. Bleh. I didn’t get to bed until after 10:30PM. Irritating.

Second - thank you Kate and Linda for watching hyper-Kenza and being there with me. Your support means a lot to me and so do the free babysitting services.

While reading this post, keep in mind that White Rock is unorganized and uphill. These things suck. I also brought with me a very small digital camera to take pictures of my splits because I don’t know how to make my watch do these things yet. I got this idea from Rachel and Brent. Thanks.

Woke up at 4:30 AM and got ready, ate a banana. Kenza and I picked up my friends and we arrived at the race course at 6:30 AM. (Yes, I am compulsively early – Yes, everyone I know hates this) This is the famous busty librarian Linda. See, she’s not so scary, just very, very sleepy at the moment and somewhat irritated by the fact that we are sitting in the convention center for over an hour doing nothing but watching thousands of other people. We all moved out to the freezing cold start line at 7:45AM.

Mile 1 – It’s freezing outside, my toes are frozen.
Mile 2 – Where is the mile marker? My toes are frozen
Mile 3 – First mile marker I see – time 28:18

Mile 4 – A little hot – time 37: 54
Mile 5 – Never saw a 4 mile marker, ticked off, getting hot, why did I wear the extra underarmour shirt, I throw my gloves on the side of the road – time 47:23
Mile 5 ½ - Karrie calls “Susan, where are you?” I tell her I’m at mile 5 ½ and I don’t know where that is – she says “I’ll see you in a few minutes” Plan on handing her headband but I never did see her.

10k – Still going uphill and really ticked off about it - time 58:12. My phone rings – its Kate and she says that they are at the general area – “Kate, I don’t know where that is, just scream when you see me” WTF is the general area. Hmm, I have my suspision they were just frolicing in the leaves and were never at the race to begin with.

Why can't anyone find me!

Miles 7 – 13.1 were unmarked or marked so poorly that I didn’t see them. These miles were filled with profanity - real profanity, SEVEN more phone calls, being hot, hot, hot and a bunch of running Elvis’s (Elvi?)

Official finish: 2:04:50. I really wanted under the 2 hour mark, but I have done no hill training since the Chicago Marathon. So, I’m happy with my time. Running a half is a refreshing change to the full.

After, we all went to a delightful brunch place and ate until we popped - Kenza fell asleep while we were waiting for our table.

Oh, and I'm never racing with my cell phone again.


Blogger Danny said...

it's definitely hard to meet your goal time when you spend half the race on the phone! (did anybody put you on hold...)

also, i have to say that i love how Kenza's sticking out her tongue in that picture. It totally lets her personality shine through what would otherwise have been a totally normal picture.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Dirt Runner said...

Bravo Zulu! I remember running that race and thinking, is it all up hill? Where's the downhill part.

6:08 PM  
Blogger nancytoby said...

Seven phone calls!? Good grief!! I definitely would have turned that sucker OFF after the first one or two!!

Great running! Well done, that's an awesome time, especially considering all the distractions!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

You rock...and your kid is real cute. Well done on the race...too bad about the big-ass hill. The profanity cracked me up...that's me in a nutshell. Congrats!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great job Susan..

That was a great race i am itchy to do a half mara myself :)

I think you worn too much. That must what have been slowing you time, practice stripping while you run....that should lighten the load and hence a faster Susan..:D

j/k...that 4 minute is nothing when u compare to 120. Hitting below 2 hr is easy...u are on your way to a sub 4 mara ;)

8:40 PM  
Blogger thealphafry said...

I think you've inspired me.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I surprised your cell phone didn't get thrown onto the side of the road!

Way to push through... I can't image running uphill for two hours. wow.

9:38 PM  
Blogger David said...

You needed a pack mule or an accessory cart to handle all your paraphenalia. Geesh... running with a camera, cell phone, extra clothing. What else? How about an Ipod?
Oh well. You did it. Halfs are a great distance to run. There's usually no wall to hit if you've done any kind of training.
Good for you.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Bolder said...

you lead a full life Susan... great race report, and great report out... well done.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Curly Su said...

awesome job! i did a totally downhill 1/2 during the summer...can't imagine doing the reverse! just remember...if your quads hurt tomorrow, walk backwards when going down stairs. it sounds ridiculous, but it works!

11:20 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Hilarious, and a great report!!! Awesome time! Yeah, whoever said it, toss that cell phone to the side of the road too!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Great job!!! I am dieing for some sushi! I hate when you don't have the ideal set up the night before a race...but you did so great.

12:17 AM  
Blogger TryAthlete said...

Congratulations and well done.

1:36 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Woo hoo Susan can run a half marathon while yaking on a cell phone!! Good job!

1:59 AM  
Blogger Lucinda said...

I am reading away wondering why on earth you are wearing thermal headgear - and then realise it is winter in your part of the world. I assure you I have more brain capacity than that!

Which does not explain the fact that I am contemplating buying a gingerbread housekit for my cousins for us to work on during christmas...

6:32 AM  
Blogger iliketoast said...

I'd tuck my cell under my headband to make it easier. As I see it that was a great effort and time in those conditions. Well done!

7:25 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice job Susan!! An uphill half? Gulp. Sounds brutal. All the more reason to be DAMN proud of that time! What great friends you have. Don't know if any of my friends would brave the cold and early morning hours for me!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger boiledpnut said...

Whoa! That is a lot of gear. You must run with pockets? Great recap!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Flatman said...

Nice job...sad I couldn't join ya...

Nice time, speedy.

Only Susan would run a half while talking on the phone the whole time. Did you stop and do any shopping during the race too?

"Turn off the word verification!" from Bolder.

10:08 AM  
Blogger marathena said...

hey, you said to call you when we got there!! We were at the 10k mark, just did not seet you!! I think we were there late!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger marathena said...

I got booted off of your side bar??

10:36 AM  
Blogger Swordspoint said...

Go Susan! I wish I could have gotten a picture of you crossing the finish line but there were so many people up there. If I would have thought about it, I could have at least taken a picture of the time clock above the line.
Great time and you actually inspire me to THINK about running (not actually doing it, hehe).

10:48 AM  
Blogger The Spandex-King said...

Great Job!!! The no mile marker thing would have killed me. I always play a little game with my self as the markers tick away. Again, great job!!

10:59 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Awesome Half! Considering the phone calls and hills I would call that under 2 for sure ;) The heels the night before probably didn't help any.

11:01 AM  
Blogger runninturnip said...

Congrats on doing a half! No mile markers are frustrating especially since I am a bad judge of distance. My last 10K had the first 3 so poorly marked that I started running fast WAY to early. GRRR. Glad you still did well, especially on an uphill course!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

What a great time you acomplished!!! And with hills incredible!!!
Those friends of you should love you, going there sooo early!! What for??

12:23 PM  
Blogger robtherunner said...

Susan, You're Awesome! I was trying to think of something that has not been said in your comment section, but that is hard to do since the whole blogging world responds to you. Great job on the half marathon, but if I was running with you I would have snatched that phone away.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I can't believe you took a phone with you on a half! I bet people around you were getting seriously ticked off (just like you, in fact).

Apart from that, well done. Now keep it up for the marathon!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kiran said...

Congrats on your Half. Maybe someday we'll (hubby and me) run that race. Uphill scares me :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I so impressed. I can barely breath when I am trying to "run" let alone talk on a phone and make plans to meet up with someone...I have two options...breath or talk. I am a boring workout partner because the other person only hers pant pant pant....with an occasional murmer of "I think I am dying"

1:00 PM  
Blogger Bolder said...

ah word ver off, you are number 8, i definitely think we will be Mariah free by tomorrow... thank you... gawd that's an awful vid today...

2:57 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Freakin' awesome half! Congratulations!
And 2:04 accomplished while talking on the phone running uphill.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Leta said...

Nicely done, congrats!

7:04 PM  
Blogger susie said...

"After, we all went to a delightful brunch place and ate until we popped"...At first I read "pooped"...I guess after all the poop talk. Anyway, great run, Susan. Excellent time and fun report, too.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Iron Benny said...

I've never heard of anybody racing with a cell phone. So, were you taking pictures of your watch or what? Where did you carry all this stuff?

10:07 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good idea - leave the phone behind next time!!!! Half marathon distance is my favourite distance - easier to train for and recovery is not as long as for a marathon!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Awesome Job!!! Congrats!!! I do a killer half with hills in April--it starts off the Chicago running season and separates the women from the girls (oh from boys too). It keeps me going thru the winter.

Luv the cussing!! Keep it up ;)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Uphill, ugh!! That stinks. GREAT TIME! The last uphill half I did I ended up puking, so major props to you!

I bet they were all at Waffle House having a yummy breakfast. I HATE when I get phone calls while I'm running. I have gone off on many a telemarketer during runs!

9:38 AM  
Blogger marathena said...

Susan, Where are you!! you are not blogging!!

6:24 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

great job on your time, despite it being all uphill.

and the shot of kenza asleep at the resturaunt? priceless!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I thought the miles were marked relatively well. BUT,some of the markers were right after a water station and some of those were very chaotic and crowded. I missed two of them actually. Anyway.....Good job! Keep up the good work. I can't believe you took a cell phone. Crazy. ;)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home