Saturday, November 05, 2005

Kenza update

This is what a mother hears while in the emergency room . . .

La la la blood . . . la la trauma . . . la la la blindness . . . la la la severe . . . la la la hematosis . . . la la la hospital, etc. you get the point.



The eye doctor is evil - he said Kenza has very severe trama to her eye. She must sleep in an upright position for the next 5-6 days and remain totally still or else he will hospitalize her. She can get up to go to the bathroom but that's about all - or else she could go blind or need surgery. Her vision is still a bit blurry and a she has a small headache occasionally - but I think that is from the dilating drops. (And Dr. Ku is a very good physician, not evil at all - we're lucky to have him)

The good/bad news is, is that she's not in any pain. Good because my baby isn't huring, Bad because it makes being still nearly impossible. My 8 year old is used to doing 700 cartwheels a day and can't even sit in her chair through an entire meal. Is it wrong to duck tape your child into a chair . . . oh, did I just say that - just kidding. She was watching cartoons yesterday afternoon and I look over and she's playing air-guitar and banging her head to the music! AHHHH! I'm having a heart attack again. And, is it really necessary to play a video game with your ENTIRE body?

The sleeping situation is also fun. I have her propped up with sofa pillows on the couch in our room and I tuck her blanket in so she doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Of course, I wake up every hour to make sure that she remains in this unnatural sleeping position.

Thanks to everyone for all well wishes for Kenza - I've read them all to her. With everyone she asks "Who's that?", "Do I know them?", "Where did you meet her?" - it's cute - she doesn't quite understand the blogging phenomenon yet.
_________________

Good Luck to Danny and Richard at the NY marathon. I'll be cheering for you.

14 Comments:

Blogger D said...

BEING A MOM: the TOUGHEST job in the world (but the most rewarding as well.)

OMG ~ What a way to end your week. She sounds like a strong resilient (very smart) child. Attitude is everything.

Sending well wishes her way. Keep us posted.

(Probably a good thing on the 1/2 marathon.) Buy K LOTS of presents and it sounds like she should get icecream as well!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Children are incredible!!
Is very good to hear she is not in pain, and that she is in a good mood, they can't avoid to be like that when they feel ok.
Sounds like it will have a good solution, in a few days she will be fine.

8:59 AM  
Blogger ~The Modern Tragedy said...

Thats amusing lol...

I acted like I was on speed at her age... I think most kids do

1:10 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Wow! I'm so glad she's doing OK and not in any pain. Just think what a great story she'll have to tell for years to come - complete with pictures and comments from people she's never even met!! Give her some extra Halloween candy from Brent and I!!! She's too cute!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Kids are so resiliant and sounds like she'll be back to "normal" in no time. Sorry that it had to happen in the first place. Keep the updates coming. You'll probably come back a lot stronger next week for not doing the half. Let's totally believe that!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Sounds good that she has no pain.
Sounds like she got a good mom and she will be back doing 7000 cartwheels in no time.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Sorry to read about the poor kid
:o( Tell her I say "hi", "get better soon" and "SIT STILL" !!!!!!!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger thealphafry said...

I agree, Kenza seems very resilient! And I'm glad she doesn't seem to be scared or have a bad outlook on it all.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

OMG...So glad to hear things are OK. I am so not ready for mom-hood. One min she is dressed like a Rock Star and next it is off to the ER. Eyes stink. I was at work all day with only one contact in (I just got them so I am really bad at putting then in when I am in a hurry) so I understand the headache thing. Glad she is not in pain and hope it gets better soon.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Oh yeah. I am creeped out by the dancing dragon too.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Flatman said...

Well, it sounds like she is taking this in stride, if not the rest of us... I would totally be duck taping her! Hee. Tell her that a guy in Texas is very worried and praying that her eye gets better and back to normal so she can continue being the rambuctious one that we are used to seeing! I believe that she will be back to normal soon. You get some rest and take care of yourself too, these are the times that your body gets tired and it is easy to pick up the smallest of bugs/sickies.

10:59 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

What a trooper your daughter is! Nothing is going to get her down. I hope that the healing process goes without a hitch. She is lucky to have a good mom like you watching over her.
PS - I bagged my half. My first ever DNF. Oh well.

1:08 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Its sounding promising - still keeping my fingers crossed. I know how hard it is to keep an active child still - almost impossible! Take care - sounds like you'll need a rest after all this!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I sincerely hope your girl is getting better by now.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home