Friday, October 21, 2005

Physics

It was the first day my Namesless Nano and I hit the road since the Chicago marathon. Oh, oh, oh, it was wonderful - an easy 3 mile run this morning - 27:59. The weather was perfect, the stars were out, it was just fabulous.

For all you ladies interested, there is a thought-provoking article in Discover magazine this month on "The Physics of Bras." Not typical for Discover, but a nice surprise. I'm not a large-breasted woman, but am always on the look-out for a "less-chafing" bra. I found the analogies in this article intersting - here are a few excerpts:
Poor eating habits, as well as breast implants and the estrogens in birth-control pills, have led to an increase in the past 15 years of more than one bra size for the average American woman-from a 34B to a 36C. For many women, this has been a burdensome trend. A pair of D-cup breasts weighs between 15 and 23 pounds-the equivalent of carrying around two small turkeys.

The structure of breasts is still something of a mystery. Evolutionary biologists aren't sure why breasts evolved as they did-chimpanzees and other mammals develop them only when lactating-and no one knows what keeps them from sagging.

"Force equals mass times acceleration," Steele says. "That's Newton's second law. You have a large mass, and it's going quickly, and the force is going to be large. If you have breasts that are slapping down and hitting the chest and having to come back up, they accelerate very quickly." No one really knows the long-term medical consequences of "excessive breast bounce," as Steele calls it. But it can cause pain and is the most likely reason for sagging breasts.

The first sports bra was created in 1977, when two American women took a pair of jockstraps, cut them apart, and sewed them back together. They dubbed their creation the Jogbra.
I find myself perplexed as to what I should compare myself to - an extra-small turkey, or a lactating chimpanzee.

22 Comments:

Blogger Swordspoint said...

Perhaps golf balls in tube socks? Small turkeys, eh? I know what I'm not having for Thanksgiving this year. The visuals, Aaaaiiiiieeeeeee my eyes, my eyes!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

I absolutely cannot stop laughing! I had to share that with others. You are a riot! Thank you for that wonderfully witty post!

11:27 AM  
Blogger partyrunner said...

i cannot believe i'm been carting around turkeys all these years! my poor, poor self!

a huge shout out of thanks for the link to the article. it will be a riveting read i can tell

11:41 AM  
Blogger The Clyde said...

Just think of them as turkey-chicks.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Chad Austin said...

"...the equivalent of carrying around two small turkeys."

Now there's an image I don't have every day.

12:04 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

15 to 23 pounds? Holy Crud! No wonder I don't weigh anywhere close to what I did in high school ;)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Flatman said...

You've got to be kidding...

Two small turkeys? Hmmm.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Do you remember how much boob they removed from me? I can't remember the exact number, but it was several pounds at least.

2:02 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

does the article have pictures? i'll read it if it has pictures!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

bad artcile..physics of bra..must stop temptation to read and go run...NOWWWWW..u can tempt me :)..

4:36 PM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Remember that kid at the store that called you "M'am"? If he says "Nice turkeys, M'am.", you'll know exactly what he's talking about.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I mean...can't tempt me..

4:37 PM  
Blogger D said...

Nice that you finally got to run and had such a nice run at that!

Funny stuff about the bra - guys are so lucky that they don't have to think about sports bras and big or small turkeys!!

4:55 PM  
Blogger susie said...

Great run. Glad you are feeling better. And, yeah, I'm still looking for the perfect sports bra. It's not to be found. But that image of turkeys is going to stay with me on my next run. Thanks:)

6:03 PM  
Blogger David said...

All this breast talk is getting out of hand (see Mia Goddess). Can we talk about running? I'm getting sweaty without even jogging.

6:25 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Funny post! Glad you are feeling better, and that your run felt good! Those few days off was just what you needed! Have a great weekend!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Just12Finish said...

Yes, I agree we need to change the topic. This is going to make close encounters with the spousal unit a bit of a challenge over the next few days ...

9:38 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hmmm, interesting analogies! I wear croptops when running - probably not a good thing judging by that article! But then I'm not a C or D-cup.......

3:04 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better!! I got a nano for my b-day a few weeks ago and I LOVE it!! I hardly even know it's there although I have gotten several jealous stares on the sidewalk. I'm fully prepared with pepper spray and my dog Dazer if someone trys to mug me for it!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Danny said...

mmm... turkeys...

7:15 PM  
Blogger tri-mama said...

Turkeys??? not a chance after nursing 4 kids

4:53 PM  
Blogger Joseph Vinciquerra said...

I always knew there would be a clever interesection of Newton's second law and breasts.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home