Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Kate met me at mile ten and handed me some gel and took my shirt. I was still feeling great, but noticed that my calves were getting tight. I was still elbow-to-elbow with about a million runners:














At mile 12.5, my calves were cramping and so were my intestine. I kept drinking gatorade and water every stop. By the half point the cramping was pretty bad and I would run until it hurt too much and would walk out the cramps. I also took a 5 min potty break - my constipation had turned into runner's diarrhea. Coming out of the potty, I ran thru the water station quickly to make up some time and slipped on a wax gatorade cup and my knee bent sideways. Half time: 2:15 - still on track for a 4:30 marathon, but that didn't last much longer.

The rest of the race was spent much the same - running until my legs cramped and walking until they went away. Slowed me down tremendously. It wasn't so bad - the rest of me felt really strong, my lungs were working just right and other than the calf cramping, my legs were really strong. I think a lot of the cramping was the lateral movement from dodging in and out of people. We just don't train that way and I was using different muscle groups.

Chicago is awesome - running through Little Italy and Chinatown was amazing! I would do it all over again in a second. I cut 52 min off my February Austin '05 time - that's not so bad. My next goal is Austin Marathon '06. Wouldn't it be cool if I could cut another 52 min off my time! Here is an after marathon picture:















After the marathon, Kate and I walked 1.5 miles back to the hotel. I had to use the fitness room to shower (wait in line) and we immediately went to the train station and to the airport. Here is a picture of me and Kate exhausted on the train:














It was 5:30 PM before we even got to O'Hare and I didn't even get a chance to sit down and rest or eat. We got to Dallas at 9:15 pm, got on the wrong parking shuttle bus - drove around for 30 min until we figured we were going in the wrong direction. Finally, we got on the right bus and met up with a man from Dallas who ran the marathon and finished in 3:15 - WOW. I ended up home at around 10:30 pm. I am so glad I took Monday off work.

11 Comments:

Blogger Flatman said...

Sooooooo COOL. I love the picture of you with that space-blanket wrapped around you. You look so happy and content. I hope to feel the exact same way after White Rock... Austin is a definite maybe for me (if White Rock doesn't kill me...now you have me worried about that 3 mile hill...)! Yeehaw.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Al Carter said...

Well done - maybe you should train with some traffic cones or in the mall the saturday before christmas - that might simulate marathon crowds.

A nice report.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Oldman said...

awesome you did it..wit your hat! congrats on a great race.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congratulations! Wasn't Chicago wonderful?!

4:07 PM  
Blogger D said...

Great report! Sorry about the sore throat and constipation issues - I had the same issues! Great photos! Your friend seemed to do very well seeing you at various locations throughout the race - amazing!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! And your face glows with happiness!!!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

YEAH! You had an awesome race! GREAT job!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

amazing job girl. Geez..i wish I can use that "if u give birth a baby u can do this" reason to motivate me ;)..well some day maybe :P

7:09 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Was getting nervous about upcoming Columbus and reading through recent race recaps.

Looks like you had a great experience depsite cramps.

Great Job!

1:25 PM  
Blogger mipper said...

wtg susan! i love that finish picture of you. if i could look so relaxed and happy after 26.2... gosh that would be great. and 52 minute off you PR... incredible!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

It is SO interesting reading about the race from another runner's perspective! Thanks, and CONGRATS again!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home