Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I love Chicago - Sunday - Race Day

Woke up Sunday morning at 2:30 am with a really bad sore throat - red with white spots. I really couldn't ignore it any more, I was running the marathon no matter what. Went back to bed and woke up at 5:30 AM tired and whinny about my sore throat, my achiness and my constipation (which I always get when I travel.) Kate brought me back to reality - As she put it - you delivered a child - you can totally do this. She was right, I think this was her very nice was of saying "please shut-up" . . . we've traveled 1,000 miles for this.

We took a taxi and got to the race. Wonderful weather and the spirit of the crowd was amazing. I waited in line to relieve my constipation, but the potties were full and we needed to get to the start line. We couldn't figure out how to get into the race area, so we climbed the fence. Here are some pictures of me and Karrie at the start and in the crowd of 45,000 people:















The race was packed elbow-to-elbow. Just look at all the people. I have never seen so many people so well organized and packed into such a small space in my life. It took us nearly 20 min just to cross the official start line. The first few miles were spent weaving in and out of people, dodging elbow, water and gatorade. At the 5k point I felt really strong - time: 31:43 - my lungs, legs and whole body, my throat wasn't hurting - it was awesome - on schedule for a 4:30 time.

1 Comments:

Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing. It sounds/looks like you had a blast! I haven't done a big marathon sincec my chicago in '97 -- am wondering if I should schedule a big one in '06. Congrats again!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home