Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tragedy Strikes a Runner

Two miles into a 15 mile run - my loyal running partner of two years died. No explanation, no warning - just sudden death. I tried to resuscitate her for 15 min, but it was too late she was gone. I don't think I will be able to recover. She was perfect in every way, shape and form. The autopsy is on Monday, and I will let everyone know the cause of death and when the funeral services will be.

I just don't understand how something so loved and perfect could meet such an unfortunate demise. All of you have her me say a million times - if I didn't have such a wonderful husband - I would marry her. She's made it through two marathons and torturous workouts in 100 degree weather. She changed the way I ran.

This is a very dark day. Very dark indeed.

Almost too much to bear, I contemplated not finishing my run today. But, I knew I had to do it - do it for her. I hit the course and headed out to meet the rest of my group. Since I was behind the group by about 25 minutes, I came up with a brilliant idea to run the course backwards and meet them half way and then turn around and run the rest of the course with them. Seemed like a fairly simple idea, until my *special* navigation skills came into play. Missing my right turn on FM Road, I managed to head down Simmons an additional two miles. Thankfully, a couple cyclists were able to point me in the right direction. Who knows where I would have ended up.

All-in-all, I walked about a two mile warm-up. Ran one very fast mile - rushing my dear friend to the emergency room. Then I ran 12.8 miles at a 10:36 pace. Certainly not the pace I was looking for, but faster than other training runs I've had.

Anyone wanting to pay your respects - I leave a final picutre of P. Dong Mini.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I just keep hearing the song "Everybody hurts" by REM going through my head while reading your entry.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Swordspoint said...

Wow, my condolences go out to you and yours.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home